The Dangers of Feeding Your Dog a Cooked Bone

As a responsible pet owner, you should understand what you’re doing regarding your dog’s diet. It is critical that you examine what you feed your dog, just as you would with your own diet. Several health complications can be brought on by eating an unhealthy and unbalanced diet.

Reasons Why Giving Your Dog Cooked Bones Are Dangerous

It’s an old belief that dogs enjoy having bones to chew on. Yet, most vets recommend dog owners that this age-old practice can be dangerous at worst. Bones become more breakable after cooking, which boosts the threat your dog will endure an internal injury from chewing on them.

Bones lose some of their nutritional value when cooked, too. While giving your dog a cooked bone to chew on may momentarily delight them, it comes with some possible threats.

They Can Get Choke

There is a danger of esophageal obstruction if bone pieces are ingested. It can puncture the esophagus and other soft tissues in the back of the throat. Your dog may have difficulty breathing if a bone fragment lodges in its trachea (windpipe). Do note that coughing or choking is a medical emergency.

Take your pet to a dog emergency clinic instantly if it is choking on a bone.

It Gets Stuck in the Stomach

Although wholly digested, the bone may be too large to go on from the stomach and into the intestines. Your dog may need surgery or an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, depending on the size of the bone. In order to try and remove the trapped bone from the stomach, your veterinarian will utilize a long tube fitted with a camera and gripping devices.

As a fur parent, it is your obligation to keep an eye on your pet’s nutrition because of its impact on your dog’s overall health, especially its teeth. Routine trips to the dog dentist are vital for keeping your dog’s oral health. You can visit this website to arrange an appointment with them.

It Can Injure the Intestines

Bone pieces aren’t just dangerous because they can cut your dog’s mouth; they can also penetrate its stomach and intestines. Bone pieces can often be so large that they puncture the stomach’s or intestine’s protective lining entirely, allowing stomach and intestinal contents to flow into the abdomen.

This leads to peritonitis, an abdominal infection that can be deadly regardless of immediate medical attention.

It Can Cut the Mouth and Tongue

Bone fragments can have exceptionally sharp edges when they break. Dogs can snap bone into razor-sharp pieces that can easily puncture the soft part of the mouth, the cheeks, or the tongue. On the other hand, you also need to watch what kind of treats you give to your dog. Many pet owners usually select milk bone treats for their pets.

Nevertheless, it has components like milk, beef, and wheat that some dogs may be allergic to and can result in a milk-bone allergy. These are some of the indications they could face:

  • Ear inflammation and itching
  • Diarrhea
  • Rash
  • Vomiting

A quick visit to the vet specializing in pet skin problems is required if they start showing any of the mentioned symptoms.

The Bottom Line

Raw bones are terrific if your dog has a strong desire to chew. Dogs can eat most raw bones that have not been cooked. Bones from chicken, turkey, lamb, or beef are tender enough to eat raw. All bones, however, carry the potential for choking if swallowed by your dog. That’s why it’s crucial to watch them whenever they’re chewing on a bone.